(This post was last modified: 31 March, 2024 - 09:24 PM by o1nder. Edited 1 time in total.)
So, I recently started Pathfinder and if I’m being honest, I don’t really think I like it much more than 5e. Having to look up a rule every five minutes and explain it to the one player who didn’t read the basic combat rules ahead of time, monster statblocks having so many numbers, half of which I only use in very specific situations, having to use a complex table every time I want to set a DC, and each turn you have players spending five minutes to decide what to do with their three actions… it’s all just a bunch of busywork that seems to add a level of nuance that doesn’t really seem to add much. I mean, I’ll keep running this game to see what it really has to offer, but I don’t think I’ll keep running it long term  https://9apps.ooo/ .

Compare that to Masks and some other more rules-lite games. Everything just flows, you can explain every rule in a few seconds and understand it in under a minute. And all of the unique mechanics are right there on the character sheet so nobody gets confused. Never mind that in PBTA games, the DCs are already set which speeds things up even more. And the lack of specificity lets me just whip up a ruling in a few seconds.

That’s why I like rules lite games over crunchy games.